Thursday 26 July 2012

I am the Centre of the Universe.

Why is it that everyone thinks that the world revolves around them these days?  Is this the 'sense of entitlement' people speak about?  Lately this is all that I'm seeing.  I'm seeing people demanding attention from others and getting awfully offended when they don't receive the level they think they're entitled to.  It's like their self importance overides reason and logic...like a disease.

I don't understand this concept.  Well...I kinda do...because I did the same thing when I was a teen.  The whole world revolved around me and my problems and I had first world problems and I expected to be accomodated.  But I only felt that way because I was still in the process of learning how the world works.  But now that I'm an adult, I still don't have it all worked out but I do know one thing - I'm merely a speck in the universe!  And this is the truth!

Honestly I'm not that important in the grand scheme of things.  Don't get me wrong, I AM important...I'm important to me, my children, my husband, my family and my God but I don't expect to be MORE important nor do I expect anyone else to think so. 

What is with these unreasonable expectations?  What's reasonable vs unreasonable you ask?  Well it's quite simple I expect to be treated with kindness and respect as a fellow human being THAT IS ALL pretty much.  I expect businesses who provide goods and services to provide those in a respectful manner.  I expect people to do what they say and to apologise when they can't.  I don't expect anymore than I've asked for.  I don't expect people to be mind readers nor do I expect people to treat me BETTER than they would themselves or their family...I expect to fall under themselves and their family as far as importance.  That way I'm not dissapointed when they don't but feel awfully surprised and honoured when they do.  One quote I really love, which was made by Oprah many years ago reads "Blessed are those who expect nothing for they shall never be dissappointed".

I don't understand why some people feel that they are entitled to more than that?  Why would you expect more at the person's or person's family's expense?  Then get upset when they you get it?

Lately this is what I've been seeing.  People feeling really upset and offended that someone hasn't stopped what they're doing for them.  That people haven't bent over backwards and rearranged their lives for them.  Who the hell do they think they are anyway?  The Queen of Sheba?  Today I saw a status from someone about not receiving a text message in due course, when asked how long it's been.....she answered 'an hour'....huh???  Are you kidding me?  Right so the person is meant to answer you in YOUR time frame or they are douchebags?   Forget what kind of person they really are.  Forget that they are kind and loving and doing the best they can with what they've got.  Forget that they may be busy, working, stuck in traffic, stressed or maybe going through some personal crisis or whatever....you didn't text within an hour? - you're a douchebag!  Riiiiiiiight!

These kind of things I've been seeing a lot lately.  He didn't answer the phone, she didn't answer a text....they forgot to pick me up...he doesn't ring me at every second of every day.... They didn't kiss my feet when I entered the room.  Wow first world problems right there!

News Flash! They're HUMAN!!!! 

People have lives guys!!!!  Things pop up!  Other things that may or may not be more important than you at that moment *gasp*.  More important than YOU???? OUTRAGEOUS!!!  LOL  *shakes head* 

Then there are people who insist on making things about them.  Turning everything that is said and done that don't really have anything to do with them...somehow it's turned around to being about them.  That's got to be a talent - seriously.  M is good at this....she can turn anything around to be about her, usually a personal offence of some kind.  Like we all go about our day planning on ways in which we can offend her for that day.   She'll even avoid topics of conversation....she'll say "I don't want to talk about that" or just not engage. Too bad if we do!  Why?   Because it offends her sensibilities too much.  And I'm not talking about grotesque topics of conversation or anything like that....just ordinary conversation...maybe a little provocative but definetly not offensive...but nup...we must all be quiet for her benefit...like she's the centre of the universe.  We need to revolve our conversation around her and her sensibilities <---- I'll delete this stuff about M later, in case she ever stumbles on my blog.  Or I might call her 'M' or something.  No I haven't shared my blog with her for this precise reason...she can make anything about her and I want the freedom to be able to express myself without worrying about offending her in some way.  But if she does happen to stumble on my blog and she reads this...then she's going to make a big deal and be all hurt and cry and be silly...make a scene, even if it's the truth.

This post isn't about her specifically....it's about anyone and everyone who's ever put undue expectations on others and got all upset when they didn't meet them.  M just so happened to come to mind.

And ok....maybe I've been guilty of this from time to time.  But you know what?  At least I'm aware of what I do and try to change it....at least I give myself a swift kick up the backside (figuratively speaking <---(can't believe I have to write that but some people actually do take talk of abuse seriously even when it's not *rolls eyes*) and pull my head in and remember yet again.....

THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND ME!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.